In Toronto, hardwood lumber or dimensional lumber always comes in sizes which are predetermined. If you are buying this kind of lumber, the project where you will be using the wood has already been decided. Also, since this kind of lumber comes in very specific sizes, they can certainly be used for projects which would be right for their specific sizes. Every specific size is meant for a particular use. Here are the most common sizes as well as their uses.
- Framing of walls. The 2 x 4 lumber is the most popularly used size when building structures and in remodeling projects. The size is used for framing a house or a room. Hardwood lumber Toronto is also used in framing cabinets and walls and it can even be used in fixing up the ceilings. Another size which can be used in making frames is the 1 x 2 lumber. If you are planning to nail the wall boards, you can use studs that are 6 x 6 or 4 x 4.
- Outdoor stools and canopies. In building nailing works as well as in remodeling, the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 dimensions boards are used commonly as studs. However, these lumber dimensions can also be used in building the tops and legs of small tables. The small tables can be used as the footstool in putting up canopies outdoors. Other uses will include creating mounts for making frames and mailboxes.
- Ceiling and flooring. For ceilings and floors, the boards which are used are in the size of 6 x12 or 8 x 12. These will make the surfaces sturdy when the flooring joists are in place. For areas prone to heavy duties, you can use the smaller 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 in making the brackets and frames. You may also use the metal brackets found in the corners which can help in holding the ceiling. Since the metal frames will not rot, they can give enough support to the ceiling.
- Hardwood floors. Aside from the regular flooring, lumber can also be used in hardwood flooring for a lot of houses. However, if you plant to use the lumber for hardwood floors, then you will get it on a special order since they are not easily available. For thousands of people, they choose to buy rough lumber instead of buying treated lumber for their hardwood floors in order to give their house a more natural feel.
- Wall Paneling. Dimensional lumber is also used in wood paneling. You can use the narrow and wide plank sizes for this kind of project depending of course on the kind of paneling that you would like to install. If you want to give your walls a better finish, you can widen the planks.
- Cabinets and furniture. You can make use of dimensional lumber in making different kinds of cabinets and furniture. Most of the dressers and large cabinets use the larger planks of hardwood lumber.